This quick start guide is designed to help the user to get Hive on MR3 up and running with minimal effort.
- On a Local Machine demonstrates how to operate Hive on MR3 on a local machine.
- On Hadoop demonstrates how to operate Hive on MR3 in Hadoop clusters.
- On Kubernetes demonstrates how to operate Hive on MR3 in Kubernetes clusters.
- On Amazon AWS demonstrates how to operate Hive on MR3 on Amazon AWS (EMR and EKS).
- In a Docker Container demonstrates how to operate Hive on MR3, including Apache Ranger and Timeline Server, in a single Docker container.
For testing Hive on MR3 on Kubernetes without building a Docker image, we recommend the user to try one of the following scenarios which use a pre-built Docker image available at DockerHub. Check Troubleshooting if you have trouble with running Hive on MR3 on Kubernetes.
- On Minikube with a Pre-built Docker Image
- Using Helm on Minikube with a Pre-built Docker Image
- On EKS With Autoscaling
Every page shows the entire list of commands for installing and testing Hive on MR3 in a specific scenario
so that the user can try on his or her own in a compatible environment.
If you need a guide on running Hive on MR3 in another environment not covered in this quick start guide,
please send an email to DataMonad (
For asking questions on MR3, please visit MR3 Google Group.